Ask a Milwaukee Electrician: What Are Automatic Standby Generators and How Do They Work?
Automatically Turns on Generator Power, and Shuts off When Utility is Restored
The best part about an automatic standby generator is the fact that they are automatic. This means that when the power goes out, you won’t have to flip a switch to turn on your generator – it will just go on for you within seconds. You and your family will probably never even notice the power went out – that’s how fast it works.
Automatic standby generators are located outside of your home or business so you don’t need to try and find indoor space to store it. They also connect to your home’s electrical circuits, where they monitor incoming utility power. If you experience a power outage, the electricity will switch from utility to generator power and then back again once power is restored.
How Automatic Standby Generators Work
- They monitor utility voltage 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
- The generator will immediately detect the problem of a power outage kick start up.
- The transfer switch disconnects the utility line safely and transfers to generator power, so there’s no need for you touch anything.
- Power is then restored within seconds.
- After the utility has come back, the generator returns to standby mode – so you aren’t wasting energy.
Always keep your home bright and safe with an automatic standby generator. For more information, or to schedule an installation appointment, call Current Electric today!