Stay connected:
We Answer the Call
24 Hour Emergency Service
(262) 786-5885

9 Warning Signs of Outdated Wiring

Outdated wiring

Posted on September 25, 2017 by Matt Seidell in Electrical

Outdated wiring can cause problems to occur that inconvenience you. You may find yourself in the dark a lot due to frequently tripped circuits or blown fuses. You might not have enough power to run all of your appliances, lights, and devices at the same time. You may receive shocks frequently. You may notice your electric bill is becoming increasingly high for no apparent reason, which may attribute to old wiring. Outdated wiring has the potential to do more than just complicate your life. You could find yourself without a place to call your own once the faulty wiring sparks and starts a fire. Get a step ahead and avoid an electrical emergency, read on about the signs of outdated wiring!

Benefits of Rewiring

If you opt to rewire your home, you could find yourself saving money. Although it sounds hard to believe you can save money by spending it, it’s true when it comes to electrical service. A bad breaker box will increase the amount of energy you consume. Additionally, the electric doesn’t always flow as smoothly through the wiring. Leakage in underground wiring will cause you to use more electric as well. All of this can be repaired to save you money on your electric bill.

If you have an electric furnace, your home might not be heating as efficiently as a result of the outdated wiring. Homeowners notice their home’s furnace heats more efficiently when the wiring is up-to-date, meaning winters will be much warmer as a result of the update. Lights are brighter with newer electric wires, changing the entire ambiance of your home.

Your electronic devices will thank you for updating your wiring since outdated wiring isn’t adequate and may damage the equipment. Sixty amps were once enough for all major devices in a home. Today, homes require 200 or more amps for TVs, computers, air conditioning units and other electronic devices. When the voltage drops, it’s hard on the electronics and can cause them to quit working prematurely.

Here are some signs that your home has outdated wiring:

1. Dimmed ceiling lights

Dimmed ceiling lights aren’t just a sign a light bulb is preparing to burn out. Oftentimes, it’s an indication there isn’t an adequate amount of electricity flowing through your wiring to power it, so it doesn’t illuminate as strongly.

2. Smoking from Outlets, Lights or Appliances

When your appliances, lights or outlets begin smoking, you need to take action immediately. The smoking indicates something is burning, and when it continues to do so, you could find your whole home going up in flames.

3. Noisy Electrical

The electric in your home should run without making any noise. What you might be blaming on paranormal activity usually signifies outdated wiring. Noises like buzzing, crackling or sizzling signal issues like a short, a faulty electric panel or fuse box or an overloaded circuit.

4. Burning Smell

You might notice a burning smell around your electrical, or you may just start smelling a burning smell in your home that you can’t identify the source of. It tends to smell like a burning candle. You might just notice the smell occasionally. The odor means wires in your home are starting to melt.

5. Discoloration Around the Outlet

One sign of old wiring is discoloration around the outlet on the cover or even up the wall. The area may appear scorched with black or brown discoloration. This is a sign the wiring behind the wall is getting too hot.

6. Warm Spots

Your outlets shouldn’t get hot from your electrical for any reason. The electric runs behind the walls through coated wiring that protects the electrical current from escaping. Unfortunately, as the wiring ages, the coating doesn’t trap the current like it should, which will cause the electric to escape and heat the wall. Usually, these spots arise on the outlet. Ultimately, this puts your home at risk of catching on fire.

7. Aluminum Wiring

Today, copper dominates as the most reliable and conductive material for electrical wiring. However, during the 1960s and 1970s, homes were commonly built using aluminum wiring. It’s a safety hazard since the connections loosen over time. The loose connections cause overheating and are a fire hazard, especially when you plug appliances into them.

8. Knob and Tube Wiring

Originating in the 1880s, knob and tube wiring is highly outdated. It was only used until the 1970s and consisted of rubber, which breaks down over time to expose bare wires. Without the protective coating on them, the moisture and air reach the wires, which increases your risk of a short or fire.

9. Frayed Wiring

Age comes problems with your wiring. For instance, the wires may fray and cause electrocution. They also lead to faulty operation of electric devices and fire.

Call the electricians at Current Electric today for more information on outdated wiring! 

The Current Electric Difference

As if providing superhero service isn’t enough, we are also proud of our continued endorsements from respected industry leaders.  We strive for simplicity and are always up-front with our customers to ensure full-service satisfaction from beginning to end of small jobs to whole-home remodeling projects alike. Here’s a quick glance at the Current Electric advantage:
  • Quoted Up-Front Pricing
  • Same Day Scheduling and Repair
  • Angie’s List Super Service Award Winner Since 2001
  • Nexstar Membership
  • Commitment to Excellence in Customer Service
  • Green Initiatives
  • Over 34 Years of Professional Experience
Let us work to illuminate and energize your life with our ongoing commitment to superhero service.

Contact the experts at Current Electric today to learn more about how we can provide quality electric and lighting solutions for your home. We answer the call.  We get the job done—and have fun doing it.  
 

Areas We Service:

Milwaukee County • Waukesha County • Washington County • Racine County • Kenosha County • Walworth County