5 Warning Signs You Need to Replace Your Home’s Electrical Outlets
Posted on December 8, 2016 by admin in Electrical
Electrical outlets are able to provide power to all of your appliances. In fact, it’s probably one of the most essential aspects of your home’s electrical system. Without them, how else would you expect to watch a show on that big HD television or make a delicious smoothie in a blender? How could you expect to function in your home at all? The obvious answer here is that you can’t at all. However, since so many homeowners will take their outlets for granted, they do not receive the attention they deserve, allowing any problems to linger until it’s far too late. There is no electrical safety hazard greater than a faulty outlet. It can easily give rise to home electrical fires, especially it begins sporting some serious damage. If left uncovered or have their covers broken, faulty outlets will be incredibly sensitive to the touch, which may also result in electrocution. You may also bring damage to your appliances as well, increasing your spending on electric bills. You should always be proactive in identifying any signs you need replacement so you can act quicker in calling your local electrical company for service. Even when you sense a small problem with your outlets, it’s definitely worth checking out, as it could mean the difference between guaranteed home safety and turning your home into a giant fire hazard.
Calling Current Electric for High-Quality Service
Current Electric will be able to provide you with new outlets as soon as possible. We have team of electricians with years of experience behind them. They have supplied outlets to homes across the local area for years and this winter, your home will be no exception. They can replace your old, failing outlets with some of the most modern ones available today. New outlets are designed to provide a consistent flow of electrical power for a long period of time, ensuring you won’t have to worry about replacing them for years. Even better, we will show you what signs you should notice when the time for outlet replacement is near. Thanks to our services, you will be able to live comfortably and conveniently, especially when you have new outlets providing power to essential appliances you use every day. You will also relax so much more knowing your home is free from hazards like fires and electrocution, ensuring you stay at a better piece of mind this winter.
5 Signs You Need to Replace Electrical Outlets Immediately
Identifying the warning signs of outlet replacement is much easier than you may think. Please take note of the following signs the next time you think your outlets are, well, on their way out:
- Two-Prong Outlets: The National Electrical Code (NEC) is a part of the National Fire Codes series under the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA). The NEC’s mission is to ensure a standard of safe electrical practices, particularly your electrical outlets. In fact, in 1965, they made it a requirement for all homes to feature three-prong outlets for a safe, and more effective, electrical flow. However, there are plenty of homes out there with two-prong outlets, which are outdated and cannot meet the demands of a modern home. If this applies to your home, replace them immediately.
- Builder’s Grade Outlets: Builder’s grade or home owner’s grade outlets are common because they have a low installation cost. If your home has been built by a contractor and you did not specifically request a higher grade outlet, there is a good chance you have builder’s grade outlets in your home. The downside, however, is that these outlets have a shorter lifespan of 5 to 120 years and won’t be able to provide power for a wider range of electrical needs. Replace them with commercial grade outlets immediately.
- No Tamper Resistance: You need to install tamper resistant if your home currently lacks them. Tamper resistant outlets are manufactured with a shutter that only allows a two pronged plug into the receptacle to properly create a circuit. This will prevent any young children in your home from inserting any objects into them, keeping them from harm.
- Extensive Physical Damage: While it is natural for an older outlet to start showing some wear and tear, it is means for concern once it starts decaying beyond the point of usability. Damaged outlets can be highly dangerous, especially if their plastic covering is cracked and wiring is exposed. It may be dangerous to plug in an appliance, as it may lead to damage to the appliance itself. Replace them immediately before you have to pay for electrical repair or, worse, your safety.
- Underground Receptacles: Ungrounded receptacles are two pronged and have no way to channel electrical current to a ground or earth source. Replacing two pronged outlets with three pronged outlets will remedy the problem and provide safe outlets for your home. In addition, you should also call an electrician at Current Electric for a home safety inspection of your electrical panel’s grounding source.
Maintain The Health Of Your Home’s Electrical System – Schedule An Electrical Outlet Service Today
Contact Current Electric today if you want to learn more about what warning signs you should notice so you can act fast in replacing electrical outlets!
The Current Electric DifferenceAs if providing super hero service isn’t enough, we are also proud of our continued endorsements from respected industry leaders. We strive for simplicity and are always up-front with our customers to ensure full-service satisfaction from beginning to end of small jobs to whole-home remodeling projects alike. Here’s a quick glance at the Current Electric advantage:
- Quoted Up-Front Pricing
- Same Day Scheduling and Repair
- Angie’s List Super Service Award Winner Since 2001
- Nextstar Membership
- Commitment to Excellence in Customer Service
- Green Initiatives
- Over 30 Years of Professional Experience